Monday, October 20, 2008

Blessed and happy

Lydia, yesterday I visited your grave, and for the first time when doing so, I smiled and did not cry. It was a beautiful fall day. Fall has such sad memories for me: my mother dying, your sickness last year, and yet it is my favorite time of year. I left after Sunday School yesterday to walk to the cemetery and place flowers by your beautiful "Canadian Rose" tombstone. I tidied up around your area and around your grandparents graves, then I just sat with you a while. It was quiet and peaceful and my love for you flowed warmly and happily through me. How dear you are to me. I thank God for you, and though you were not here on earth long enough to suit me, I am honored and blessed and happy for the time that you were here. You were good for me. You changed me. Before leaving your grave, I took the small metal gravestone marker placed there the day you were buried, and I took it home and put it at the foot of your magnolia tree. And I did not cry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite terms is "Morning Glory, Evening Grace". This is what I hope for all of Lydia's family and friends.

Mrs. Sappington, I never met your daughter, yet she was my friend. I never spoke to her, yet we had many conversations. I never viewed her face, yet was presumptuous enough to give her advice.

I didn't know your daughter as Lydia, but as "Nieuwy", one of the many posters on SJNancy's Hockey Board, where hockey lovers from all teams were welcome to join the conversation. As time went on and we all got to know one another, it became a meeting place for friends, not just a place for "hockey talk". Today, SJNancy's board is gone, replaced by another board; the friendships remain but the old feelings of comradre have faded a bit.

I was very moved by "Nieuwy's" passing. I am 62, yet found it easy to be friends with a 19 year old that I would never meet. Your sweet girl was a source of joy for a number of young and old hockey buffs who gathered to argue, agree and compare notes on teams and players. I am deeply saddened for your loss, and ours. I know the healing is slow, and the reality of losing a child is a horrendous burden; but the healing will come and the remembrance of her will remain, the remembrance of the good years and joy.

Finally, I can only leave you my thoughts of your daughter: "Morning Glory, Evening Grace".

John Armstrong (Nieuwy knew me as Burgie)